The Delightful (and a bit wicked) Margaret Lockwood


Who is she? Where does she fit in? In way ML is difficult to place in an era because she appeared in quite a few! Her career spanned the 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's.

This is the autographed pic (left) I have of her. I don't think she had a particularly happy life. She had lots of opportunities to become a major star in Hollywood, but hated the place - not a bad call, I would say. Her marriage did not work out and her family were not always supportive.

I picked up on all of this in particular. I suppose there were some happy times. I hope so. She died of cirrhosis of the liver at the relatively early age of 73.

One of her first major appearences was in the Hitchcock thriller, "The Lady Vanishes" (Spies! playing the game of love-and sudden death as the blurb ran) This movie has so much for me: camp thirties argot, trains and Basil Radford and Naunton Wayne (more on them soon). And of course, she did the wicked thing as "The Wicked Lady" Sufficient to say about this one, filmed in 1945, is that the american version had to be re-shot with less of Miss Lockwood's cleavage showing. mmm.Posted by Picasa

No comments: