It's the Christian Festival of Candlemas today, marking the end of the Christmas season:
- "Down with the rosemary, and so
- Down with the bays and misletoe ;
- Down with the holly, ivy, all,
- Wherewith ye dress'd the Christmas Hall"
- — Robert Herrick (1591-1674), "Ceremony upon Candlemas Eve"
Lord God, the springing source of everlasting light, pour into the hearts of your faithful people the brilliance of your eternal splendor, that we, who by these kindling flames light up this temple to your glory, may have the darkness of our souls dispelled, and so be counted worthy to stand before you in that eternal temple where you live and reign, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.