Prime Minister's Staff called National Bullying Helpline

This is massive. Messrs Watt and Price can be written off by number Ten as embittered ex employees with an axe to grind. Rawnsley is a journalist with a book to sell. I am not casting doubt on their versions of events, but when the National Bullying helpline, aka ordinary people, reveals it has taken calls from staff at Number Ten Downing Street you can be sure that the Government has lost control of the narrative of deceit.

But Ms Pratt, chief executive of the National Bullying Helpline, said that was sending out "the wrong message" to other chief executives or bosses who are accused of bullying: "Outright denial is just non-credible in today's age".
She told the BBC: "Over recent months we have had several inquiries from staff within Gordon Brown's office.
"Some have downloaded information; some have actually called our helpline directly and I have spoken to staff in his office."


(source, Incredibly! the BBC!)

Mandelson has been doing the rounds today in a traffic calming exercise, but even the Master of the Dark Arts cannot make this go away. Ms Pratt describes his denial as "nonsense and not credible" When the BBC carries this kind of story, the tectonic plates are moving. This has legs, and it will run.

My prediction: Brown is toast

addendum:
I took a look at Nick Robinson's blog, something I have not done for months. It is a heavily moderated blog (I am banned), and on principle I don't touch that kind, but already the Labour spin machine has gone into a two pronged attack, fielding brand new commenters who happen to find this story in some way offensive. The line they are using is to try and link the NBH with the Tories, and the other is to suggest they have breached client confidentiality. Well, what would you do? All they have left is the techniques beloved of the Watergate era, but now apparently quite normal procedure. It's too late boys, the bucket has sprung so many leaks you can take a power shower of shit under it.

7 comments:

Span Ows said...

I agree with the prediction and I was also very surprised to see this fairly reported on the BBC online this evening. Mandy ballsed-up.

Ted Foan said...

I do hope you are right about a toasted Brown! Preferably burned to a cinder.

(PS: Why the big picture of you on the top of your blog? I know what you look like!!! LOL)

Spartan said...

WW, you have far more faith than me. l see this as just something else that will be buried. Moves will already be underway to make sure anyone that was 'bullied' is bought off in some way.

This maybe cynical of me but has anything approaching accountability ever come from these MP's, whether they be PM's, government ministers or whatever? l'd include the Lords too.

l hope l'm wrong, l really do but by past events l bloody doubt it.

Wrinkled Weasel said...

Spartan, of course, purely on form you have the balance of probability, but there is now too much all at once.

Spartan said...

Messrs Fripp and Co say it far better than me :-

"The wall on which the prophets wrote
Is cracking at the seams.
Upon the instruments of death
The sunlight brightly gleams.
When every man is torn apart
With nightmares and with dreams,
Will no one lay the laurel wreath
As silence drowns the screams.

Between the iron gates of fate,
The seeds of time were sown,
And watered by the deeds of those
Who know and who are known;
Knowledge is a deadly friend
When no one sets the rules.
The fate of all mankind I see
Is in the hands of fools.

Confusion will be my epitaph.
As I crawl a cracked and broken path
If we make it we can all sit back
and laugh.
But I fear tomorrow I'll be crying,
Yes I fear tomorrow I'll be crying."

Wrinkled Weasel said...

And I am looking forward to a "politician's funeral pyre"

Spartan said...

Yes, Brown > 21st Century Schizoid Man