The Airport Song


I am calm. Our visitors have been grounded now for two days. There is no chance of a flight tomorrow and they are booked for Monday. This will probably not happen, and the only viable alternative is for me to do an 800 mile round trip, so that they can pick up their car and get on to the next leg of the journey. One must get to France, via England, and when booking a ferry the prices were going up faster than a taximeter. Anybody who says the other services are not profiteering from the current air restrictions is misinformed. I did think I could decant my guests onto a bus, except that to spend 8 hours on a bus in very cramped conditions is currently costing £120. Somebody is taking the piss.

Dr Weasel has only been back from Italy in the last few days. Had she been stranded we might have had something of a crisis to deal with, given the daily cost of staying in a Hotel, and then arranging alternative transport. There must be many people in deep doo doos over this Icelandic Volcano.

I wonder how people are taking it? I feel resigned. I feel that there is nothing I can do, and that I am one of the lucky ones. I don't have kids, I am not abroad, running out of money and pants, I do not have to be anywhere soon. As I wrote earlier, this is the second time this year that My guests have been at the mercy of the weather; delayed and dismayed.

3 comments:

Jim Baxter said...

My sympathies to you and your guests.

I can only recommend that people do what I do. Satisfy such desires as you have to see the world but travel only between the years 1980 and 2000. That's what I always do and I can report that I never have vexatious experiences when I adopt that simple measure, smooth running all the way from San Fransico to Hong Kong and points in between.

I refuse to travel anywhere in the time we, in our blinkered view of spacetime, call 'now' and if airlines, other carriers and agents are unable to accommodate me in this simple requirement then I keep my money and stay at home.

My only other advice? Book early.

Spartan said...

The answer is to come out of the EU. Ash is not a problem in Russia where all airports are open and flights continue.

Wrinkled Weasel said...

Spartan, Russia is a is like that terrible place in Bad Day at Black Rock. And the pilots are pissed out of their heads, so what Russian does should not necessarily be an arbiter of sense or safety.

I agree Jim about time travel.