Midsomer Madness

Animal Rights Activist Wins Right to sue former employer over "philosophical" beliefs, as TV Writer is suspended for "racist" remarks.
by Wrinkled Weasel

The blogosphere is alight with the Midsomer Murders story. Even I had to have a go. The writer of the long running murder mystery show has been suspended by his bosses, over remarks made about the lack or omission of non-white people in Midsomer Murders. A week or two earlier, an Animal Rights activist won the right to sue his former employer who allegedly sacked him over his "philosophical beliefs".

This seems to me to be a case of two issues which boil down to what people think and the kind of lives they lead and the impact this has on their day jobs.

I have to say, when I learned of the Animal Rights chap I reacted in two ways. The first was that my distaste for such people goes back to the days when I lived in Bristol. They had a campaign of bombing people at their homes. One such bomb went off under a car and injured a passing mother and child. I really have no sympathy for them or their cause. I do however, acknowledge their right to hold such views and that to sack someone for holding an extreme view is a dangerous road.

Brian True-May said some things that can only be interpreted as racist. Sorry but there is no other way to do so. However, racists abound and racists have a right to work, just as animal rights acitivists have a right to work. The alternative is to only employ nice unassuming people who pay their taxes and complain about the wheelie bins.

What is interesting to me is the difference in reaction to these people. True-May has been villified. The animal rights guy is now a hero, with the backing of the law. Of the two, only the animal rights guy is prepared to break the law in support of his beliefs. It puzzles me.

Could it be that the judge is pandering to a liberal left consensus? Surely not.

No comments: