International Blasphemy Day

Yes, I could not believe it either, but it exists. Here is their manifesto:

Blasphemy Day International is a campaign seeking to establish September 30th as a day to promote free speech and stand up in a show of solidarity for the freedom to challenge, criticize, and satirize religion without fear of murder, litigation, and reprisal. Blasphemy Day takes place September 30th to commemorate the publishing of the Jyllands-Posten Muhammad cartoons. The purpose of Blasphemy Day is not to promote hate or violence; it is to support free speech, support the right to criticize and satirize religion, and to oppose any resolutions or laws, binding or otherwise, that discourage or inhibit free speech of any kind. While many perceive blasphemy as insulting and offensive, this event is not about getting enjoyment out of ridiculing and insulting others; rather, it was created as a reaction against those who would seek to take away the right to satirize and criticize a particular set of beliefs given a privileged status over other beliefs.


Fair enough. It is the result of a pluralist society. The trouble is, Christians are now being persecuted for simply stating what they believe. I have no problem with people doing their worst - God, my God, is a lot bigger than that, and so am I, but in a pluralist society, I have a right to say what I want to.

I don't argue with those who are anti-Christian, because there is no point. They don't understand anyway - how could they, for they are lost? What I do not propose, is to call for their death, since it seems a bit rude. Let's leave that to those whose names we cannot even mention any more, for fear of arrest on trumped up charges.

5 comments:

Doubting Richard said...

I think that last clause is the point. I don't think this is an anti-Christian campaign except in so far as there are still anti-blasphemy laws on statute books, including the British laws, which stifle free speech.

The only purpose I can see to this is to criticise those religions that it can be politically difficult to attack - primarily Islam but also Judaism, Buddhism and Scientology (not a religion here, but very quick to sue when people point out that they kill people).

Wrinkled Weasel said...

I don't know what it is Richard, but as a Christian, I don't give a shit.

What humanists must worry about is the considerable logistical attack they are under as guardians of a pluralist society, which cannot stand, since it will be consumed by infighting and pompous displays of martyrdom and precioiusness by the very minorities it purports to defend.

(see my posts below about Political Correctness, so beloved of those who think philosophy began in with Kierkegaard and Nietzsche)

burn baby burn said...

WW
I'm a non Christian.
Don't worry about being rude and calling for my death.
Your bible says I will have a horrible death anyway when my time comes. I'll burn in hell for not believing. Like the billions around the world who haven't even heard of Jesus or the bible. To be fair you should be out doing missionary work. All those poor children who will be burnt for eternity because they were never shown the light.

Wrinkled Weasel said...

Yes, bbb, life can be a bugger. Sorry

burn baby burn said...

No probs xx